Host a holiday song contest:
Scenrio: You are a performing songwriter, producer, DJ looking for collaborative opportunities,
Craigslist ad’s are not bringing in any good collaborative prospects.
Your feeling stuck not meeting anyone.
The great news is, in a evolving market you can get VERY creative with ways to meet, and share music- This is a really simple way to grow your network.
If your like most artist you have VERY LITTLE money. (this is where getting creative comes in).
Look at the tools you have available to you.
Social media tools like reverb nation, facebook, twitter, bebo, some folks may still use myspace… and on and on and on.
Beside posting endless gig announcements, and endlessly “FRIENDING” that does nothing to grow your fan base, (did all of your 2472 "friends" buy your cd or artwork?) What ways have you used your social media sites to grow your fan base with cash spending customers?
if your like most people probably nothing.
That is about to change.
- 1) Engage with your fans
- 2) Leverage other artists networks to jump start your social network. Share your networks, combine your fans, grow both of your fan bases!
- Meet other artists to collaborate with, or share a show with you.
- Make it interesting for your fans so they WANT to come to one of your shows.
- Remember, in even a medium sized metro area there are only 47 different shows for fans to choose from on a Saturday night, and most fans probably only have the cash to go to just ONE show. You bet they want to be ENTERTAINED!
- Give them something fun to watch and listen too!
4) Combine your audiences to expand the # of new people coming to your show who will buy your cds and merch- Do merch bundles with the artist your playing with (together you’ll make more $$ that way!)
5) Expand your Songwriting portfolio
6) Get YOUR music into other artists hands
These are all great reasons to give this idea a try right?
I used facebook to host a Halloween music contest.
Songwriters were invited to submit a track that fans could then vote on to select their “favorite” Halloween song.
Everyone that submitted a song, and voted would be given a free Halloween playlist for participating, and all the smart artists were able to add 10 new potential songwriting partners to their network, AND get their music into the hands of thousands of new people. (Something for EVERYONE).
After the contest: What were the results? It was fun to host, I gave away a 1 hour artist business consultation to our winner. Kerry Grombacher: http://www.reverbnation.com/kerrygrombacher
Even though this was a small contest (by social media standards) here are some of the results that I have learned about :
2 of the songwriters, have planned a tour, and have scheduled songwriting sessions with one another
(you don’t have to live the same part of the country to do this!)
1 songwriters daughter submitted a song, (which was picked up for a licensing opportunity with NPR THE AFTERNOON was posted, the song is that good! ) AND, this song
is raising money to help other kids, the song (if you download the song you pay $1 which is donated to Smile Train, who helps children with cleft palettes obtain surgery, and smiles!
Listen to the song, and buy the download, it's a great cause!
So what are you waiting for?
Use your social media network to grow your network-
If you want to wade in slowly:
I am hosting a HOLIDAY MUSIC CONTEST to continue the fun:
I am looking forward hearing your submissions, and helping you make some new fans, and perhaps find some collaborative partners to work with.
If you enjoyed this blog you can subscribe to it (great for you Kindle users).
Another GREAT way to invest $1.00 and get so much!
Lots of great tips and tricks for pennies!
& if your ready to dive in,
Let’s set up some time to talk!
Providing business solutions for creative minds