Top 5 reasons bands / artists fail:
1) No action plan: You MUST have a map and a destination in mind to get anywhere. Like taking a road trip, you can meander hoping that someone will find you- Legitimate Producers, Booking agents, managers, attorneys won’t work with artists who haven’t achieved some level of success, and are diligently working on growing their careers. Be ready to make a LONG-term commitment (Being a overnight success takes a minimum of 5 yrs of VERY hard work).
2) Having the right tools:
Artist Website (this is the center of your social media universe)
- Artist Bio (with good quality photographs)
- Demo 3-5 songs
- Reviews or recognition
- Mailing list
- Booking info
- Business cards (you’re a business, act like a pro)
3) A Great Product: One thing that has never changed you MUST have great music and a great show- this is your job; you need to create the BEST music possible and lots of it! Rehearse, play lots of shows, and constantly work on refining your craft to stay ahead of the competition. The industry is saturated with wanna be’s with little or no talent. Know what your strengths are and utilize them.
4) Educate yourself: To have a successful music business you need to know how EVERYTHING works- If you don’t know about distribution, or booking, use the internet, go to conferences, consult with professionals who can help you. Gather facts, and make informed decisions.
3) Business Expert: Most artists don’t have a experienced business expert to help them guide their careers, since most business managers are busy with their successful clientele, you need a professional who can help you stay focused, and on track saving you valuable time and money.
Recommended book to have: